PlanetNext’s Multimedia Unit is meant to express our message in a clear, precise and creative audio-visual language. Using a variety of media, the editors aim to give voice to the interests, problems and aspirations of early 21st century society.
The Multimedia Unit’s wealth of resources (i.e., publications, radio, television and internet) will also be made available to other communication organizations who share PlanetNext’s objectives. Items of particular artistic or journalistic merit can additionally be made available to local awareness campaigns, NGO publicity campaigns, or as contributions to artistic exhibitions.
The internet is key to the Multimedia Unit operation, specifically for distributing contents through user-generated and social networking sites (e.g., Facebook, YouTube, Flickr, Twitter, etc.), thus encouraging a global grass-roots dialogue and strengthening the interaction among like-minded groups and individuals in the ever-expanding online community. By combining the strengths of Web 1.0 and Web 2.0, the Multimedia Unit will function as an engine contributing to a change in perceptions of social, economic and environmental issues, and will, at the same time, be a platform for discussion and interaction.
The Multimedia Unit’s principal activities can be outlined as follows:
- updating all the audio-visual components of the PlanetNext website
- production of short videos aimed at online news sites and TV news programmes
- production of in-depth documentaries aimed primarily at television
- production of current affairs programmes for television
- production of internet news radio
- training for relevant organizations (e.g., NGOs) in the basic use of video and other media.